Re: [SLUG] IBM's DB2

From: Steven Johnson (alinuxguru@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 14:58:23 EST

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Mikes work account" <mrock@stewartsigns.com>

>Is IBM's DB2 database actually Informix which they bought because it was
>multi-platform and open source? It runs on Linux as well as other 'nix's
>and IBM is pushing it quite persistently.

This is a question that is subject to interpretation and can be read in many
other ways. For example, "Is Microsoft clustering services just a Digital
product because that is where MCS was developed from" or "Did CA just
rebrand {anything CA ever released} and sell it as their own product"?

I will assume what you are asking is did IBM rebrand Informix. The answer
to that is no. DB2 goes back several decades. IBM "invented" the
relational model of data. IBM invented the SQL language for RDBMS.
IBM continues to market DB2 on over a dozen platforms. Informix will remain
their open product. I do not know how much development crosses across both
the Informix and DB2 line.