[SLUG] Re: [MDLUG] FTP woes

From: Bill (selinuxathome@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 22:05:20 EST

On Wednesday 06 March 2002 18:16, you wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 March 2002 13:06, you wrote:
> > I can get in with ftp if I turn off passive mode. I would say something
> > on proftpd has support for passive mode turned off. Here is how I got in.
>
> THANK YOU JOE!
>
> I needed to know what MSFT was doing differently! Now I should be able to
> track things down in the Proftpd docs (maybe ... or at least come up with a
> better question next time :-))
>
> Bill

Okay .... I found the debug stuff and Joe is 100% right as confirmed by
turning passive off in Gftp. Once turned off (therefore enabling active file
transfer), Gftp works just fine.

Soooooo ... the $64 question now becomes: "What in proftpd is turning passive
downloads off and how can I turn them back on again? It sees a request for
"LIST-aL" as being a security violation.

a.organic-earth.com (192.168.1.1[192.168.1.1]) - dispatching CMD command
'LIST' to mod_ls
a.organic-earth.com (192.168.1.1[192.168.1.1]) - SECURITY VIOLATION: Passive
connection from 192.168.1.100 rejected.

Or is the problem even in proftpd? Does anyone know enough about the
LinksysBEFSR81 Router to rule it out? I've been all over the Linksys Setup
pages like a cheap suit at a tent revival and can't find any setting that
hints of "passive / active". So I suspect it must lie in the dusty hallways
of Proftpd.

I RTFM, I read the online FAQ's and assorted other documentation and I still
can't find any mention of this problem. I am thinking that possibly one of
the more macho of you geeks has encountered --and solved-- this problem and
would be willing to lend the benefit of your experience.

Please?

Bill