Re: [SLUG] Re: [MDLUG] FTP woes

From: Bill (selinuxathome@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 03:01:13 EST

On Friday 08 March 2002 01:49, you wrote:
> In all your RFTMing have you hit the proftpd NAT mini howto?
> http://www.castaglia.org/proftpd/doc/contrib/ProFTPD-mini-HOWTO-NAT.txt
> It's short.
>
> It makes reference to a global config directive:
> http://www.proftpd.org/docs/directives/linked/config_ref_PassivePorts.html
>
> It seems you're getting close.

Do you mean like this? I am beginning to think that the problem is in the
LinksysBEFSR81 router. I set up another machine for ftp today using the
NetMax software (RH 6.1 kernel 2.2.15) and am getting exactly the same
distinction between browsers / ftp clients configured for passive file
transfers (successmode ="n") and browsers / ftp client configured for active
file transfers (successmode ="y").

ServerName "ProFTPD Anonymous Server"
ServerType standalone
DefaultServer on
UseReverseDNS off
IdentLookups off
# Port 21 is the standard FTP port.
Port 21
PassivePorts 55555 65534
MasqueradeAddress 192.168.1.1

I sent an e-mail to Linksys tech support a few minutes ago. I'm getting tired
of dealing with this and I think I ruled out pretty much every possibility of
software error when I was able to duplicate the results on a "boxed install"
using all defaults. The boxed install performs identical to mine ... not
worth a darn. Since that rules out MY errors as the cause of this problem I
think it is time for the folks at Linksys to let me in on the secret, if
there is one, for running ftp through their routers.

Bill