Re: [SLUG] sound problem

From: Logan (logan1304@comcast.net)
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 22:53:42 EST

        Patrick, or Paddy, with that good Irish name, a mere 11 days prior to
St. Paddy's day... Generic SuSE fires up ALSA with KDE2. When I use a
GUI I use GNOME, so I am pretty useless to you. I am the mutant from
the SuSE world as SuSE defaluts to KDE2 and I am a Ximian
user/developer/b0rker. Familiarize yourself with the alsa man pages or
surf here http://www.alsa-project.org/
        In my ancient ways, I compile the kernel to run what I want. Yes, I am
one of those old, crabby, RTFM, Linux users, (since '95) but as a SuSE
enthusiast and occasional code writer for them -- to avoid annoying
problems with the SuSE special, mutant kernel bizarreness, (like Red Hat
-ac kernel users) in regard to ALSA, which typically does not work with
my hardware, I just build a new kernel and drive on. I have a
Soundblaster Live EMUk flavor, so I just build my drivers.
        I know I haven't helped you much, but since '95, I have always got my
best sound by incorporating my drivers in the kernel, not using
modules. Possibly someone else in SLUG derives a woody from ALSA and
can help you with your problems. If not, send me your hardware
configuration and I will mail you a config for kernel 2.4.17 so you can
build your own kernel and life will be perfect zen.

Ciao from a monolith kernel user,
Logan

--
10:20pm up 33 days, 4:16, 1 user, load average: 1.07, 1.02, 1.00
If you are a fatalist, what can you do about it? -- Ann Edwards-Duff