Re: [SLUG] Job assistance

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 01:18:14 EST

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 09:30:26AM -0500, robin wrote:

> LUG members in the Baltimore/Washington area routinely.
>
> 1) Take resumes to meetings if they're looking for jobs.
>
> 2) Announce openings or assignments at meetings.
>
> 3) Post job/help wanted notes on the email lists.
>
> 4) Shoot headhunters who post on the email lists.
>
> I always thought this was a strong part of the LUG thing -- to help
> fellow members find work/help as needed, figuring that even if the jobs
> they got weren't directly Linux-related, it was good to place as many
> agents of (Linux) change in as many places as possible.
>
> What's wrong with posting "I need a job, I have xx experience"on this list?
>
> What's wrong with posting "I'm looking for someone with xx skills for
> project yy" here?
>
> UMBC LUG's list was inundated with headhunter spam for a while. That got
> stopped. It was not person-to-person and did not belong.
>
> All freshmeat staff and part-timers have been hired through LUG
> contacts one way or another.
>
> Norbert Castegena is now working on NewsForge and Linux.com part-time.
> LUG contact.
>
> I don't think there's anything wrong with using LUG meetings and email
> lists as a low-key employment exchange.

I purposely left "looking for a job" _out_ of the list charter because I
don't think it's unreasonable for SLUG members to use this venue to look
for work. Naturally, I don't want to get inundated, but the occasional
mention is fine with me. I am approached occasionally by headhunters who
want to use our list, and I "discourage" them. As it says in the
charter, this is a "limited commercial interruption" list. This is not
the same as "I work for X company and we have Y job opening." I don't
mind that either on a limited basis.

SVLUG had so much job traffic on their lists that they had to create a
different venue just for that. But they're Silicon Valley; I don't think
we'll have that problem. If we ever do, we'll create a new list.

As for resumes at meetings, I think it's a fine idea. You're welcome to
bring yours and I'll make mention of it at Tampa and Dunedin meetings.
Other meeting leaders can follow suit if they like; their option.

Paul