[SLUG] Job assistance

From: robin (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 09:30:26 EST

LUG members in the Baltimore/Washington area routinely.

1) Take resumes to meetings if they're looking for jobs.

2) Announce openings or assignments at meetings.

3) Post job/help wanted notes on the email lists.

4) Shoot headhunters who post on the email lists.

I always thought this was a strong part of the LUG thing -- to help
fellow members find work/help as needed, figuring that even if the jobs
they got weren't directly Linux-related, it was good to place as many
agents of (Linux) change in as many places as possible.

What's wrong with posting "I need a job, I have xx experience"on this list?

What's wrong with posting "I'm looking for someone with xx skills for
project yy" here?

UMBC LUG's list was inundated with headhunter spam for a while. That got
stopped. It was not person-to-person and did not belong.

All freshmeat staff and part-timers have been hired through LUG
contacts one way or another.

Norbert Castegena is now working on NewsForge and Linux.com part-time.
LUG contact.

I don't think there's anything wrong with using LUG meetings and email
lists as a low-key employment exchange.

- Robin