Re: [SLUG] Job assistance,, quietly

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 12:04:00 EST

On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 08:03:00AM -0500, MRock wrote:

> Paul,,
> I wonder who is listening in on this list,, ie: I post information and
> someone I don't want to know just read my post. Now people looking to
> change jobs for one reason or another just tipped off their employers!! Is
> there any way to search just who is registered on the list?

You can issue the usual commands to majordomo to get a list of
s*bscr*bers, but majordomo is configured not to output the list. The
reason is obvious-- a nefarious person could subscribe to the list,
issue the command, get the list, uns*bscr*be, and now they have a list
of spam targets.

Beyond that, the list archives are publicly available. Anyone from
anywhere can go on and search for your email address or "jobs" and find
your "job search" post. (It would be considerably more difficult for
someone to troll the online archives for spam targets. Generally not
worth a spammer's time unless he knew we were all millionaires [don't
tell anyone!]).

If you have a specific person you're looking for on the list, I might be
persuaded to perform a search for you. But the real point is that
anytime you post something on a public list, you have to assume that
anyone anywhere can read it. Unfortunate, but true. (That's why I don't
mention my many mistresses and hundreds of money laundering shell
corporations. <Oh dang!>) If you believe that your employer is listening
on this list and you don't want him to know you're looking for alternate
employment, don't post here. I'm not trying to discourage posts like
this, only pointing out that there is some inherent risk involved.

Paul