Re: [SLUG] Command to find library path

From: Paul Braman (aeon@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Mar 10 2002 - 18:29:09 EST

On Sun, 10 Mar 2002, Paul M Foster wrote:

> The linker knows the path in which to look for libraries. And there's a
> command to tell me what the linker thinks that path is. Anyone know what
> that command is?

You can look in /etc/ld.so.conf for the list of standard directories that
are searched (and in what order) by the runtime linker. You can also use
"ldd <prog>" to see what libraries (from where) are used by a particular
program.

There are a few gotchas in all of this (rpath being one of them) but
basically the runtime linker will search the list of standard directories
for the shared library then query your LD_LIBRARY_PATH for additional
directories if it needs to.

Paul Braman
aeon@tampabay.rr.com