[SLUG] Problem with changing file systems

From: Neil Kittipalo (kpneil@haube.org)
Date: Sat Mar 16 2002 - 10:12:46 EST

I've a box here running Mandrake 8.1. I was trying out various file systems
and ended up with about a dozen XFS partitions, 2 or 3 ext3, and several
reiserfs. BTW I did not experience problems with any of these.
I decided to standardize with ext3 and have spent the afternoon copy
partitions to spare disk space - reformatting the partitions and copying back
again. Fine. I now have / and /usr still as reiserfs not yet done.

I ran into a problem doing the / partition. My setup was lilo on the MBR of
hda and the / partition on hdg2. hda1 is about the same size as hdg2 so I
thought to copy / over to there and run lilo so as to boot via the MBR to hda1
which was formatted as ext3. All looked good with lilo -v -t so I went ahead.
On rebooting however I got a kernel panic after a bunch of messages about
being unable to find a reiserfs. I can't understand why it was looking for
one. I ended up using a Linuxcare cd to get back to my old config.

Here is my old lilo.conf and part of the old fstab

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
default=m81
keytable=/boot/us-latin1.klt
lba32
prompt
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=m81
        root=/dev/hdg2
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        append="idebus=100 hdb=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi devfs=nomount"
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=failsafe
        root=/dev/hdg2
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        append="hdb=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi devfs=mount failsafe"
        read-only

/dev/hdg2 / reiserfs notail 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/sdb15 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom auto user,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0
/dev/scd1 /mnt/cdrom2 auto user,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0
/dev/scd2 /mnt/cdrom3 auto user,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto user,sync,exec,codepage=850,noauto 0 0
/dev/sda3 /opt ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/sdc2 /mnt/xtra ext3 defaults 1 2
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda3 /mnt/mp3 ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda4 /mnt/mp3a ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdg5 /usr reiserfs notail 1 2
/dev/hdg3 /mnt/hdg3 ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdg6 /mnt/hdg6 ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdg1 /mnt/disk ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/sdc1 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sda2 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /home/neil ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/sdb2 /home/km ext3 defaults 1 2
-------------
...and the ones I modified...
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
default=m81
keytable=/boot/us-latin1.klt
lba32
prompt
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=m81
        root=/dev/hda1
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        append="idebus=100 hdb=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi devfs=nomount"
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=failsafe
        root=/dev/hda1
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        append="hdb=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi devfs=mount failsafe"
        read-only

#/dev/hdg2 / reiserfs notail 1 1
/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/sdb15 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom auto user,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0
/dev/scd1 /mnt/cdrom2 auto user,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0
/dev/scd2 /mnt/cdrom3 auto user,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto user,sync,exec,codepage=850,noauto 0 0
/dev/sda3 /opt ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/sdc2 /mnt/xtra ext3 defaults 1 2
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda3 /mnt/mp3 ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda4 /mnt/mp3a ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdg5 /usr reiserfs notail 1 2
/dev/hdg3 /mnt/hdg3 ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdg6 /mnt/hdg6 ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdg1 /mnt/disk ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/sdc1 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sda2 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /home/neil ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/sdb2 /home/km ext3 defaults 1 2

and my /boot
boot.0300 initrd-2.4.8-26mdk.img lilo-menu/
System.map-2.4.8-26mdk
boot.b@ initrd.img@ lilo-text/ us-latin1.klt
chain.b kernel.h@ map vmlinuz@
config@ kernel.h-2.4.8 message@ vmlinuz-2.4.8-26mdk
config-2.4.8-26mdk lilo@ os2_d.b
grub/ lilo-graphic/ System.map@
...which is the same for both configs

Does anyone have an idea what I'm missing (apart from a brain)?
It's the stock kernel BTW
Neil
-
Microsoft is to good software what the Taliban were to good government