[SLUG] Mandrake -- What to do with the ISO image CD's?

From: doc (e.net@verizon.net)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 12:15:19 EST

Sure appreciate the heads-up on this!

I have decided that while I try to get Debian to load on my
newly assembled PC and then configure KDE2, etc., I'd
set my wife's PC to dual-boot Mandrake 8.2 and move
her off off Win98se.

The instructions from the Mandrake download site for NERO
are a little old -- so I used the Wizard -- hope that is OK!

QUESTION: I have the three 8.2 ISO's on CD, now what?

I visited the http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/doc/81/en/ref.html/
site but there were no clear instructions for handling these ISO CD's.

Note: I am willing to first try the Mandrake 8.2 install on my
new PC if it is wise to learn on something I can't hurt. I don't
want to mess up my wife's PC.

Thanks! doc

ftp://ftp.cse.buffalo.edu/pub/Linux/mandrake/iso/README
Howto burn an ISO image ?
All the CD-Writing software can use ISO image to burn directly a CD-Rom.

Important note: take care to download the ISO in binary mode (FTP). By
default Netscape download the file in ASCII mode which corrupt the image.
You can check the integrity of the ISO file with the md5 key
(md5sum mandrake.iso under Linux), go to http://www.etree.org/md5com.html
to get the md5sum.exe version if you are using Windows)

Please avoid downloading the ISO with a 56K modem line. If the download
fails you can use "Resume" which allows you to continue the download. It
works with ftp (reget), ncftp, CuteFTP, Getright, ...

With Nero Burning Rom:
----------------------
Open Nero.
Close the wizard if it is started automatically.
Go to "File"
then to "Burn Image...".
In the next dialog, click on "Image Files (*.nrg)" and select "All files
(*.*)".
Choose the .iso file and accept.
In the following dialog make sure:
- Type of Image is: Data Mode 1
- Block size: 2048
- Image header: 0
- Image trailer: 0
- All the checkboxes are unactive.
Click "OK".
In the next dialog check that the "write" and "finalize" option are active.
Click on "Write".
(Thanks Antonio Asensi)