Re: [SLUG] Booting from CD with Windows XP

From: Greg Schmidt (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Sun Mar 24 2002 - 02:04:30 EST

On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, Bpreece wrote:

> Robin if you press f10 while powering the Compaq
Yes, F10 for Compaq, Del for Dell... If you don't know, create a keyboard
error. On desktops, unplug the keyboard and cold boot it. You'll usually
get get something like "Keyboard error - Press F1 to continue" (BRILLIANT
error message! :) ) You'll sometimes also get something like "Press F2
for setup". Bingo. Plug the keyboard back in and hit F2 to change BIOS
settings. If that doesn't work, or on laptops, hold down a handful of
keys during power up. I mean, lay your hand across the keyboard and hold
down a dozen or more. Often gets similar results. Seems to work more
often on older machines.

> download a utility called delpart.exe...
> ...and blast the partition
> and then fdisk to kill the boot sector and you are with a drive like new.

Why am I thinking that Robin might really like the idea of blasting the
Windows partition into oblivion to fix his problem? :)