Re: [SLUG] Best video card?

From: Bill Triplett (btt@nethouse.com)
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 12:22:40 EST

On Sun, 2002-03-31 at 09:29, joeo@cracktown.com wrote:
> I'll second the vote on the radeon. The radeon 8500 isn't supported. If
> you pick either a generic radeon up or one of the 7000 series card you
> shouldn't have any troubles. Stay with the AGP version of the cards.
>
> Don't bother with the "VE" versions of the radeon if you are a gamer, it
> lacks some acceleration features that are probably going to be supported
> in the next release of XFree86 (check out the traffic concerning the
> tcl-0-0-0 CVS branch of the DRI).
>
> The r128, G400's, and Voodoo3/4/5 have been really stable for a while for
> 3-D, but the hardware shows it's age with any game engine newer than
> quake3 or Unreal Tournament (tribes 2 is unplayable on these cards).

I have an r128 All in wonder AGP. It works quite well with the gatos
drivers for viewing TV. The capture to disk (still experimental) works,
and the TV out (really unstable) works really unstably. :) DRI is a
no-go, but I understand this has to do with my ASUS A7A266 chipset as it
is reported often. Not really a 3D linux gamer, so it is not an issue
for me.

I had a problem with the card about 4 months ago, and envoked the
warranty. ATI has a plan where they will mail you a new card before they
receive your old one, provided that you put up the $$ for the new one
(which gets credited back on receipt of old one.) Not a bad program. I
don't know how this compares to other card makers' warranties, though.

Bill