Re: [SLUG] Best video card?

From: joeo@cracktown.com
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 09:29:48 EST

I'll second the vote on the radeon. The radeon 8500 isn't supported. If
you pick either a generic radeon up or one of the 7000 series card you
shouldn't have any troubles. Stay with the AGP version of the cards.

Don't bother with the "VE" versions of the radeon if you are a gamer, it
lacks some acceleration features that are probably going to be supported
in the next release of XFree86 (check out the traffic concerning the
tcl-0-0-0 CVS branch of the DRI).

The r128, G400's, and Voodoo3/4/5 have been really stable for a while for
3-D, but the hardware shows it's age with any game engine newer than
quake3 or Unreal Tournament (tribes 2 is unplayable on these cards).