Re: [SLUG] worth of firewall-in-a-box hubs?

From: Paul Braman (aeon@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 08:14:39 EST

Okay, for those that have them up and running, a few questions...

What do I set as the DNS server for the machines on the LAN? Ideally, I
shouldn't have to set it to Road Runner's DNS servers because they are
configured via DHCP and the IP address might change. Would I point it at
the gateway itself and have it forward the request?

I've actually read one of these gateways configures its internal time via
NTP, but my question is whether it may server as an NTP source for the LAN
(for those of you who have one of these gateways)?

When the firewall is going its NAT thing, how does it know when the
internal machine is "done"? The internal machine will send out a packet
and wait for a reply, and the firewall will accept the reply and forward
it to the internal machine. However, if there is too long of a delay, the
internal machine might have moved on to bigger and better things and now
the return packet is indistinguishable from a random probe. At what point
will the firewall not do this forwarding? (This is more of a technical
question about how firewalls work in general...I'm really curious.)

Paul Braman
aeon@tampabay.rr.com