Re: [SLUG] worth of firewall-in-a-box hubs?

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 13:58:48 EST

On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 08:14:39AM -0500, Paul Braman wrote:

> Okay, for those that have them up and running, a few questions...
>
> What do I set as the DNS server for the machines on the LAN? Ideally, I
> shouldn't have to set it to Road Runner's DNS servers because they are
> configured via DHCP and the IP address might change. Would I point it at
> the gateway itself and have it forward the request?

Can't help you here. I use /etc/hosts for names, since there are only
three machines turned on on the LAN. I only dhcpcd for getting my IP
from Verizon.

> I've actually read one of these gateways configures its internal time via
> NTP, but my question is whether it may server as an NTP source for the LAN
> (for those of you who have one of these gateways)?
>
> When the firewall is going its NAT thing, how does it know when the
> internal machine is "done"? The internal machine will send out a packet
> and wait for a reply, and the firewall will accept the reply and forward
> it to the internal machine. However, if there is too long of a delay, the
> internal machine might have moved on to bigger and better things and now
> the return packet is indistinguishable from a random probe. At what point
> will the firewall not do this forwarding? (This is more of a technical
> question about how firewalls work in general...I'm really curious.)

This depends on whether you're doing "stateful" routing or not. With
ipchains, it doesn't matter, since the machine doesn't keep track of
whether a given packet is received in reply to one sent. With ipfilter,
you can enable stateful routing, in which case, it will track response
packets. As for a time limit, I never heard the question asked before.

Of course, that begs a different question. Since, even with ipchains,
packets come to the internet IP, how does the router know which LAN
machine to route the packet to? I assume that the MAC address of the NIC
is involved or something. Bottom line is that I assume that there is
something in the answer packets that gives a clue (besides the
non-routable IP of the LAN machine) to where a packet gets routed. If
that's the case, then the question of "how long" the firewall waits is
moot.

Paul