Re: [SLUG] Convert ASCII to binary?

From: Paul Braman (aeon@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 14:09:28 EST

On Sun, 31 Mar 2002, Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:

> I emailed a StarOffice file to myself to back it up before screwing
> with a Mandrake upgrade, knowing that I ran a significant risk of wiping
> out my /home partition, which I did.
>
> But I got my own email address wrong and the message bounced --
> apparantly as ASCII. Any ideas on how to resurrect this file? It's kind
> of important stuff. (Book chapter on deadline.)
>
> --------------040808080807000804060205
>
> UEsDBBQAAAAAAEd8fiwHzLn1/d8FAP3fBQAtAAAAUGljdHVyZXMvMTAwMDAwMDAwMDAwMDJF
> ODAwMDAwNDMxMEY1NjU0MDcuanBn/9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQAAAQABAAD/2wBDAAEBAQEBAQEB
> AQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEB
> AQH/2wBDAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEB
> AQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQH/wAARCAQxAugDASIAAhEBAxEB/8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQEAAAAA
> AAAAAAECAwQFBgcICQoL/8QAtRAAAgEDAwIEAwUFBAQAAAF9AQIDAAQRBRIhMUEGE1FhByJx
> FDKBkaEII0KxwRVS0fAkM2JyggkKFhcYGRolJicoKSo0NTY3ODk6Q0RFRkdISUpTVFVWV1hZ
>
> <snip>

Just doing a "locate base64" on my machine turns up a few hints, but
really this is a standard MIME encoding format. This list had a few
commands given to fix this a bit ago, something like "

Just did a "locate mime" and there's a command called "mimencode" on my
distribution.

Ergo, should be easy to fix...just locate and run a command or three.

Paul Braman
aeon@tampabay.rr.com