Re: [SLUG] Looking for a mail client

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan.heffernan@shawus.com)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 01:01:29 EST

Mike Manchester wrote:

> Hello All:
> I'm looking for an email client / solution. My requrements are.
> 1. Be able to use fetchmail and procmail to receive the mail.
> 2. Be able to view the mail both localy and remotely (i.e from work)
> Maybe through the web.
> 3. Uses the linux email format for the messages. So If I want I could
> use mutt or something like it to view the email. I really don't any
> propritary email formats that requre import or export.
>
> Any suggestions on this would be greatly appricated. I have been using
> netscape 4.x mail and found no easy way to move my mail into mozilla. So
> I've decided that if I could find a mail soultion with the above
> requirements. Then it would not matter what email client I used and I
> would be able to view the email from work using a web browser.
>
> Thanks
> Mike M.

I use Netscape and Mozilla (switching back and forth). To get the desired
functionality, look at setting up your own IMAP server. I use fetchmail to
POP-down mail from my ISP, and store it locally in standard format
mailboxes. Then, I can connect to my IMAP server and do all of the things
to email that you would expect. The big advantage to IMAP vs. POP is that
the mail stays in the IMAP server (there is no local storage of your mail in
the client!). I can reboot my workstation into Windows, and use Netscape
for Windows to browse my mailboxes too. There are also WWW-based interfaces
that can connect to an IMAP server; this way you can have your remote
access. Even better than WWW access, would be a secure connection (ie VPN)
so you could use a "real" email client remotely.

--
--ronan