Re: [SLUG] Running a mail server in the privacy of my own home

From: Patrick \(at work\) (pwgrant@cssi-fl.com)
Date: Fri Apr 05 2002 - 09:01:26 EST

I have done what you describe.
1) registered my domain at register.com (I suppose any will do)
2) changed the IP that their DNS will resolve my domain name, to match my IP
(yes, with timewarner my IP may change, but has not do so in 9 months.
3) waited 24hrs for the change to propagate the world. The other setups I
have done have taken between 4 and 6 hours.
4) installed webmin (a web base config tool that can configure sendmail)
5) verify sendmail (it was already installed, just dormant) is started and
will start at boot time.
6) Setup an email alias, so that the email name does not match the login
name
7) verified the file "popper" is the placed where ineted things it is, and
that it is executable by root only. Popper will be required if you want to
use a pop client off the Linux box (i.e. outlook express, etc.) Sendmail
will have to be configured to accept remote connections explicitly by login
name, domain name, ip, or ip range. It's very clear in webmin what to do.
8) I use Kmail to read the email locally, it reads email directly from the
mail spool.

I am sure there other ways to accomplish this, this seemed most useful at
present.
Qmail server can be installed if you want to setup a web based access.