[SLUG] Logical Volume Manager

From: Paul Braman (aeon@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Apr 07 2002 - 17:02:20 EDT

I assume Red Hat 7.2 comes with the LVM, so if I'm wrong, someone correct
me...please.

Anyway, I'm curious whether anyone knows if there is a practical limit to
the number of partitions you can squeeze out of a hard drive. I'm
slapping in some huge 80G drive in my new box but plan on leave 60G
unpartitioned so I can extend-as-needed later. However, I'm also planning
on an aggressive partitioning scheme.

Ergo, I don't want to bump up against some goofy limit and leave a bunch
of space unused.

For some of the newer folks who are still a little new to partitioning, my
plan is to go for:

    / .5G
    /tmp .5G
    /var 1G
    /usr 4G
    /usr/local 2G
    /opt 2G
    /home 10G

Why so many partitions? [shrugs] I like partitions. :)

Actually, I think I've got it stuck in my head that creating more
partitions leaves the filesystem less fragmented. The Win2KPro box I'm
building (a mirror image, hardware-wise, of the Linux one) is pretty much
just gonna be one big partition and I'll have to defragment from
time-to-time to keep performance up.

Paul Braman
aeon@tampabay.rr.com