Re: [SLUG] Logical Volume Manager

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 12:33:23 EDT

On Sun, 2002-04-07 at 20:41, Paul Braman wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, R P Herrold wrote:
>
> > I position /boot as first partition _everywhere_ -- 60M is
> > plenty; and add
> > /var/log
> > /var/ftp
> > /var/spool
>
> It's debatable whether you need a /boot seperate from / or not. It's
> kinda like "rules of thumb" for sizing swap partitions.

If you're using newer versions of LILO or GRUB, LBA32 frees you of the
need to have stage1/stage2 under the 1024 cylinder mark (an old int13
holdover). This was the primary reason you always had a small /boot
partition at the beginning of the disk. No argument, really.

As for LVM, we've been using LVM v1.0.x for quite some time now with
some large XFS filestores at NKS. IMHO, v1.0.3 is quite stable, and very
useable. If you're worried about support, Sistina is more than willing
to hold your hand for a price. Derek and I both use it extensively both
at work and at home with XFS. Heck, I even use it on my laptop with
Reiserfs.

I'll disagree with anyone who says it isn't ready for prime time.

There's nothing quite like an "xfs_growfs" or "resize_reiserfs" to
really make an admin smile with glee.

- Ian C. Blenke <ian@blenke.com> <icblenke@nks.net>
http://ian.blenke.com