Re: [SLUG] Bandwidth hogs, pay up!

From: ter swartz (ter450@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 07:11:52 EDT

I used to live by Clearwater Beach (South Beach area)
with RR cable modem. Downloads where 400-700
KBytes/sec. with "Legacy" modem (old grey Motorola
that is not DOCSIS compliant). About 2 years ago, I
used to work for Tier 3 tech support at RR, when the
DOCSIS first came out. We knew, as tech support, that
a company could throttle the bandwidth on the newer
DOCSIS modems, but the corporate spin was that that
would never happen. Imagine the bad PR. Well, last
November I moved. Since I moved to another PRIN
(modem area), they had to replace my old modem with a
new DOCSIS compliant modem.... Gee, my band with now
caps at just under 300 KBytes/sec. That is off of
"test.tampabay.rr.com". Not to mention all the stupid
tricks you have to do to host any kind/type of site.
DSL is getting better and better with their QOS. I
will be switching this summer. Especially if I can
resolve to a DNS for $50/month.
Pete