Re: [SLUG] Sendmail security or bust?

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 10:49:14 EDT

On Wed, 2002-04-10 at 23:41, Brett Simpson wrote:
> The old manager that won't move from Novell is slowly losing influence so my new manager is desparately looking for alternatives because of the high pricing of Novell. Before the old boss left he blew most of our budget on Novell upgrade licenses. Wonderful isn't it! :( The closer we get to the next budget cycle they'll have to look at cheaper alternative (open source and such) since the county budget is going to be much less. I convinced them to move their Real server and real producer stuff to Linux from Win2k and so far it's been running great compared to maybe running today and most likely crashed the next. Anybody have any idea's on running something other than Groupwise and Novell? I've been doing some research on OpenAFS and it looks really neat. That would alleviate our growing space requirements. As for the mail side of things Mozilla has a fairly nice mail client but we also need the calendar/scheduling sort of features. I believe I could get my new boss convince!
 d !
> on doing a small pilot project for a new remote site. This would get the foot into the door so to speak for alternatives to Novell.

I'm not sure what features Groupwise has, but Evolution is an awfully
nice email client for Linux/X with calendaring and contact stuff.

The Usual Suspects of Sendmail and an IMAP server on Linux are what we
always push for email server solutions. It's a hard combination to beat
for price and reliability.

I'm not sure what that whole "sendmail sends secret headers" thing
you've been talking about in this thread, but ANY email client that
fully supports the SMTP protocol is going to send a certain amount of
information, which is required by the protocol! Sendmail has
traditionally been a security nightmare, but since they started their
commercial branch/brand (sendmail.com) and have had money to hire
programmers dedicated to hacking sendmail, it's really shaped up and
solidified its security. They have someone on staff who's dedicated
entirely to making sure the code is secure as possible. I think since
the early 8.9 version days, there has only been one potential exploit of
any significance and it was caught and fixed before anyone knew it was
there.

For "Groupware messaging" type things, an NNTP server and a news reader
work great. Lots of people seem to have forgotten NNTP and usenet
news. There's also GNU Mailman to let you set up mailing lists. It's
stupidly simple.

If you want some kind of internal "Instant Messaging" thing, you can set
up a Jabber server. Or just let everyone run AIM or GAIM or some sort
of generic IM client for some common service. It would be nice to
control the server in-house though, so all your important internal
conversations aren't being sent to some third-party.

And the great thing about all this stuff is that it's all standard on
just about any distro you can get your hands on.

The hardest thing to come up with on Linux at the moment is some sort of
calendaring server. I've seen several web-based systems, and a few
commercial softwares, but nothing that's really caught my eye. I'd love
to find a good iCal server and client setup that worked under Linux. No
luck yet, though. Evolution supposedly has the ability to send/receive
vCal messages through email, so you can kind of do group scheduling with
it, but I haven't tried it.

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
$_='while(read+STDIN,$_,2048){$a=29;$b=73;$c=142;$t=255;@t=map
{$_%16or$t^=$c^=($m=(11,10,116,100,11,122,20,100)[$_/16%8])&110;
$t^=(72,@z=(64,72,$a^=12*($_%16-2?0:$m&17)),$b^=$_%64?12:0,@z)
[$_%8]}(16..271);if((@a=unx"C*",$_)[20]&48){$h=5;$_=unxb24,join
"",@b=map{xB8,unxb8,chr($_^$a[--$h+84])}@ARGV;s/...$/1$&/;$d=
unxV,xb25,$_;$e=256|(ord$b[4])<<9|ord$b[3];$d=$d>>8^($f=$t&($d
>>12^$d>>4^$d^$d/8))<<17,$e=$e>>8^($t&($g=($q=$e>>14&7^$e)^$q*
print+x"C*",@a}';s/x/pack+/g;eval

usage: qrpff 153 2 8 105 225 < /mnt/dvd/VOB_FILENAME \ | extract_mpeg2 | mpeg2dec -

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/DeCSS/Gallery/ http://www.eff.org/ http://www.anti-dmca.org/