Re: [SLUG] Sendmail security or bust?

From: Brett Simpson (simpsonb@hillsboroughcounty.org)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 23:41:29 EDT

The old manager that won't move from Novell is slowly losing influence so my new manager is desparately looking for alternatives because of the high pricing of Novell. Before the old boss left he blew most of our budget on Novell upgrade licenses. Wonderful isn't it! :( The closer we get to the next budget cycle they'll have to look at cheaper alternative (open source and such) since the county budget is going to be much less. I convinced them to move their Real server and real producer stuff to Linux from Win2k and so far it's been running great compared to maybe running today and most likely crashed the next. Anybody have any idea's on running something other than Groupwise and Novell? I've been doing some research on OpenAFS and it looks really neat. That would alleviate our growing space requirements. As for the mail side of things Mozilla has a fairly nice mail client but we also need the calendar/scheduling sort of features. I believe I could get my new boss convinced on doing a small pilot project for
 a new remote site. This would get the foot into the door so to speak for alternatives to Novell.

Brett

>>> bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com 04/10/02 18:22 PM >>>
It will not fix the issue! While the Netware Will the Groupwise will not!
Where I use to work we had a dual 900 and it crawled.
You know it is like beating a dead horse. If they will not admit there is a
problem then they will never fix the problem just shovel
money and keep calling in out side help and calling Novell and running the
Updates and never resolve these issues.

Novell has gone to crap after 4.1 and it will not get any better. Novell is
dying you do not gain one thing from sticking to it.

Also Novell does not post half as much issues on their site to resolve
problems because they want you to stickto there crap!

Novell has gotten so bloated with ZEN , Active Directory , and POOPWise.

Also Novell products unless you run all the updates religiously and in order
they will screw up and never work in some cases it creates a time bomb
effect on the services locking up and crashing.

Also if you are using Compaq proliant servers you better install every
Softpaq they have and also in a certain order.
Also how many things do you see saying designed for Novell anymore????????

Novell Groupwise on a Single server for 600 people is nutz! Most places
would not have over 200 per server
Even with Dual 900mhz pentium 3 zeon CPU's with 1 gig ram. It should be on 3
to 4 separate servers running 500mhz to 700mhz
with 1 gig ram each trust me you will see a boost in performance.

Here is the requirements
GroupWise 6 System Requirements

GroupWise will run on the minimum system requirements listed below. For
optimal performance, the computer should meet the recommended requirements.

Agent Hardware Requirements
Pentium 200Mhz or higher processor (multiprocessor is optional)
300MB of disk space for GroupWise software and 200MB per user recommended
(configurable by administrator) <PER USER YIKES!
Agent Software Requirements
Novell NetWare 5 or 6 (with eDirectory 8.5 or higher) or Microsoft Windows
2000/NT <RUNNING 2000 They why use NOVELL?
Agent RAM requirements
GroupWise Agent: 5.5MB for NLM
GroupWise Engine: 4.5MB for NT
Post Office Agent: 1MB as well as 250-400KB x the number of active client
users < X 600 USERS ! Around 3.5 Gig RAM to be safe!
Message Transfer Agent: 1MB as well as 50KB x number of domains and post
offices serviced
Client Requirements
Dedicated workstation client: Windows XP, 2000, NT or 98
Minimum 5MB free disk space (25MB for full client install)
Pentium processor (recommended) with 32MB of RAM

Hopefully they will see the light.

Pricing 1,723.00 for 6-25 user upgrade = $41,352.00 for 600 users!
<Novell's direct pricing!>
Plus the cost of new hard dries and processors and ram etc.
I say move on!

B.Preece