Re: [SLUG] Bandwidth hogs, pay up!

From: Ronald KA4INM Youvan (ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 04:42:50 EDT

   I am a road runner user.

> If Time Warner was giving you full bandwidth with Road Runner you would
> recieve 10 - 15mb full tilt. Right now best you will get
> is 756 k down and 256k up.

   What determines what full tilt is? Why can't TW set an up and down speed
and offer it as a product for sale, ten times that speed isn't the same thing.

   Don't you think giving us much more bandwidth than they setup as their
standard will require more band width and equipment than they had planed
on providing?

  Hey look Dsl but Cable is suppose to be faster then DSL oh wait they are

capping the modems.

    I don't think it is funny that my chum with Verizon DSL can download the
same 10 meg file (of nulls) in 22 seconds, (winblows) while it takes me
42 seconds (with LINUX). {or so}

> To test your speed you go to the URL called speed only. This is a Bs test it
> is on their side of the network and only their customers can use it.

   All I ever found is two 10 meg and 50 meg files, on http and ftp servers,
anyone can use them, I have timed my chums DSL using them, over the telephone.

> There is other sites that my friends whom use Dsl can pound faster then I
> can. This is things that I think TW should fix.

   I agree, they PROMISE to be faster than DSL, this is all I want to see.

> If Road Runner truly has to have a fiber optic serviceable area to be
> available in then why should there be a band width issue? Any one know how
> fast data can go over fiber optics?

   If one fiber optic channel could pass every piece of intelligent
communication taking place on all of earth at once, what do you
think the equipment that must be used to stack all of these channels
at higher and higher frequencies cost? The lower more common frequencies
are cheap, as you go up, costs go up sharply.

> How ever I bet if you test someone's
> bandwidth that has AOL's Cable they will smoke OLE Road Runner why you ask
> because AOL own Time Warner they do not Own Road Runner so they say. So they
> want to make you switch.

   How can AOL get faster speeds than RR from the same equipment?

> If they would support DOCSIS then let you use your own modem it would reduce
> their cost for Equipment maintenance. Thus making it cheaper.
> How ever they say if then they did this that when a storm hits if Lightning
> hits your modem then you would be sol other wise gee they really care? NOT!

  I don't think I know what DOCSIS is, please enlighten us.

   I am afraid I would not purchase a $100 modem unless it had a 100% `any
reason' replacement warranty. $5/mo. is a small price to pay to have
unlimited maintenance, for the worst place to put a piece of hardware.
(between an aluminum cable going 30 feet above the street, and my houses
power ground, it's like paying for insurance)

       73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
    100% LINUX, 100% of the time. SENT Time and Date are UTC
        Visit my HAM Web SITE at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm