Re: [SLUG] Bandwidth hogs, pay up!

From: Bpreece (bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 12:55:59 EDT

Right now Time Warner Road Runner is not full speed and as for their Prices
they just raised them about 5 months ago.
If Time Warner was giving you full bandwidth with Road Runner you would
recieve 10 - 15mb full tilt. Right now best you will get
is 756 k down and 256k up. Hey look Dsl but Cable is suppose to be faster
then DSL oh wait they are capping the modems.

They are over sold the service and now with everyone setting up home
networks with the little Link sys routers it yet kills more bandwidth.
Yes the bandwidth is going away. How ever if they gave full speed it would
not be that noticeable. They are trying to blame the customer for their poor
service. Also they do not support Standard DOCSIS Cable modems you can buy
at Best Buys or Staples or Office MAX why do you think this is? I will tell
you because buy using proprietary modems they can cap your speed! If you
used your own it would not be capped.
Also anyone thinking you can software uncap it wrong it is set from the
switch to your modem when ever you first connect to the net.
If they would support DOCSIS then let you use your own modem it would reduce
their cost for Equipment maintenance. Thus making it cheaper.
How ever they say if then they did this that when a storm hits if Lightning
hits your modem then you would be sol other wise gee they really care? NOT!
Also I wonder why the stores still stock these Modems considering you can
not use them!!!!!!!!! Every model that the local Brandon Best Buys , Staples
and Office max Sells has at least one of the 3 to 6 different brands
returned! They are useless and these stores do not know why. Perhaps if
they chain stores would group together they could raise enough stink so they
could sell products the consumer can use.

I also remember almost 3 years ago when I first got Road Runner it would fly
me and my friends use to have a network setup using it to talk to 3 boxes in
Different parts in Tampa they stopped that ability they stopped game servers
they stopped ftp's. They also then started to cut the bandwidth.

To test your speed you go to the URL called speed only. This is a Bs test it
is on their side of the network and only their customers can use it.
There is other sites that my friends whom use Dsl can pound faster then I
can. This is things that I think TW should fix.

If Road Runner truly has to have a fiber optic serviceable area to be
available in then why should there be a band width issue? Any one know how
fast data can go over fiber optics? How ever I bet if you test someone's
bandwidth that has AOL's Cable they will smoke OLE Road Runner why you ask
because AOL own Time Warner they do not Own Road Runner so they say. So they
want to make you switch.

Also Earthlink can not honor my credits through their Cable service cause
they have problems with Time Warner Holding the service of Cable and
Billing. So I am switching to DSL. Raise rates what a bunch of thieves.

Also for more good reading if you have road runner check out these
newsgroups.

alt.online-services.roadrunner
roadrunner.tampabay.comments
roadrunner.tampabay.discussion