Re: [SLUG] Bandwidth hogs, pay up!

From: Chuck Hast (kp4djt@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 22:36:51 EDT

On Wednesday 10 April 2002 12:55 L, you wrote:
> Right now Time Warner Road Runner is not full speed and as for their Prices
> they just raised them about 5 months ago.
> If Time Warner was giving you full bandwidth with Road Runner you would
> recieve 10 - 15mb full tilt. Right now best you will get
> is 756 k down and 256k up. Hey look Dsl but Cable is suppose to be faster
> then DSL oh wait they are capping the modems.
--------------------- Snip.....

Here is a interesting one for you.
I converted my radio/computer room back into a garage as it was when the
house was built in 72. (someone along the way converted it into a hobby room
which means radio/computers to me) and of course got promptly evicted as
the wife wanted to put her car in the garage. (wonder why?)

Well we also have on the property a small rental house which I have converted
into my home office (that is where the radio/computer stuff went) the distance
between the two buildings is about 300 ft. So I called TW and asked them about
just getting a drop off of the pole and putting my modem there, guess what?!?!
They said "Yes of course but that means a new service and since you do not
have TV there it will be more expensive and you will loose your old e-mail
address, blaahh blahh ad infinitum, ad nauseum. I told them, no you see I do
not want to move the service I just want a drop off the pole for a service
(the data modem) I already have, and gave the explaination, they said no
the system would not allow it, at that point I told this dead fish about my
trip (training) at Scientific Atlanta's cable system training some years back
when they were just starting to look at this but had the basic concept up
and running I told the kid on the other end that it did not matter what pole
I was on as long as I was on the same node (there is only one out here for
many poles around) and that depending on the system probably did not
matter where I was on the network as long as I was in the same area
subnet., she was trying to tell me that it would not work because I was
moving it to a different address on the same pole. Well I gave up trying
to talk to that person because going out and talking to the pole got me
more done. I remembered that my renters had always said that there
was TV signal on the cable connection in the rental, so went down and
looked at it and sure enough the cable was still connected (It had never
been disconnected during the 4 years I have had the property) so I
figured that since the data road down below 54 Mhz that the low pass
filters (they did have low pass filters on the thing so you could not see
anything above the local broadcast and the usual low end stuff, I
was of the impression that they left those things connected and just
changed the filter so you could get the pay tier stuff, anyhow I plugged
the modem in watched the LED's indicate that I got bit synch, connected
the linksys and my LINUX machine up to it and proceeded to get back
on line. Well, a couple of weeks ago they came out and pulled out
the low pass filter and left me with NO connection whatsoever, buggers.
Now I have 300 ft of RG-something or other running from one building
to the other just so I can have my modem in where my computers are.
Funny thing is that one of them told me that if it had been a large house
they would have done two drops if the modem was on one side of
the house and the TV service on the other but because I had two
addresses on my property they could not do it... Greedy buggers
I sure wish they would get DSL out here cause not only is TW a
egg sucking mess but having seen what a friend of mine gets with
DSL I would drop this cable junk as soon as DSL gets here, but we
are sort of the armpit of Tampa so we do not get anything too soon
around here.

--
Chuck Hast
KP4DJT