Re: [SLUG] Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

From: Glen (gurensan@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 12:25:50 EDT

Oh... I hadn't heard this. Here's basically what I got (it works):

        SBLive! X-gamer 5.1 (emu10k1 for those who care)
        Super P6DBE (Intel PIIX4, 440BX - nothing special)
        Dual Celeron 433a
        Voodoo3 3000
        3Com Vortex (3C590? I don't remember)
        Epson C60 printer (yay! it works!)

Since there are no onboard devices beyond the drive controllers, there's
nothing to conflict with. Since the kernel uses the OSS drivers (recently got
MIDI support), and they work, I can use all 4 speakers (front/back,
left/right) and it'll actually do the 4-point environmental audio type stuff
without much hassle. I'm thinking of playing a little more with OpenAL to get
that 'behind you and to your left! ... no, your other left!' effect ... I
hope that it lives through all this Loki business. It'll need a maintainer.

Ah well, to each his own, that's the beauty of it. If the quality is as good
and it will do the quad channel output, MIDI and record well enough, I might
be tempted to switch since I understand they're cheaper than the CL stuff.
That's what I'm really wondering I guess.

        Glen