RE: [SLUG] Apologizes

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 11:12:26 EDT

On Thu, 2000-01-27 at 19:32, diego henao wrote:
> First, I am not making any copies of this software. I just know where
> you can find it. I don't really care if it is legal or not. I just know
> this person needs the software. If he is asking about that is because he
> needs it. I am giving a solution.

True. A solution. I am not questioning your motives in giving support to
someone requesting assistance. Still, if you know the source might be
even the slightest bit questionable, why post it to a public list?
Private replies work well for such things.

> My question to you Sir is why are you
> using linux?. As a matter of fact, Why did you start using linux?.

I started using linux in 1993 to run a startup ISP using only cheap PC
hardware that my we could afford to run such a small business. At the
time, Linux was the only viable alternative to an expensive Sun server.
Linux and the GPL also fit well into my personal ethos, and has
continued to do so over the years.

Why do I run Linux? Because the kernel runs on the hardware I have on
hand. It runs on my biggest monster boxes, and my smallest handhelds.
And it runs *fast*. I can put up with a flakey "stable" release cycle,
and don't mind fixing things that break along the blistering pace that
is Linux kernel development.

Why do I run OpenSource software? Because I love Unix. I enjoy the
simplicity that it offers (if not the terseness). Software is most often
than not designed to "do the right thing". If it isn't, then I have the
sourcecode to improve upon it, fix it, and return those changes back to
the community.

Why do I dislike most Linux distributions? They're generally designed
for the least-common-denominator of computing user, not that this is a
bad thing. They build their own patch trees for tools that don't seem to
make their way back to the origional communities from which the tools
were gathered. They have their own hacked kernels that are off in their
own worlds. They don't hesitate to include commercial no-sourcecode
binaries, and end up causing headaches for users who wish to distribute
them.

Oh, and I *hate* RPM hell. No, not RPMs themselves, just the differing
ways RPMs are built between distros so as not be 100% compatible between
themselves. SuSe RPMS are different than RedHat RPMS are different than
Mandrake RPMS, etc, etc. And don't get me started on SRPMS that won't
extract on the wrong architecture (Sparc being my primary complaint).

My favorite distro is debian. Sourcery was rather slick though, and I
like some things about Gentoo. Linux isn't my only favorite kernel
though.. MacOS/X with Fink is rather enjoyable (then again, it's based
on Debian packaging).

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> <ian@blenke.com>
http://ian.blenke.com