Re: [SLUG] Modem Pooling

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 18:57:25 EDT

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 09:29:03AM -0400, Daniel MacLaren wrote:

> To clarify:
>
> We have a partial T1 for Internet access.
>
> At times we need to dial in to our customers' systems for support or
> testing. Rather than installing a phone line and modem for each computer,
> we were using Winport - which allowed client machines to use the modems on
> the server as local modems (in dial-up networking). In this way, we could
> use either modem to dial any customer.
>
> We are setting up VPN's to some of our customers, but that is not always
> an option and will not totally remove the need for modems.

Ah, I wondered if the dialup was going the other way (_to_ the
customer), and sure enough, it was.

Whether you can make this work with Open Source software depends on what
protocol the customer end of the line expects. Jim Wildman's solution is
a simple one, but again, it depends on whether the other end expects
simple TCP/IP or something else. And that depends on what software
they're running, and what you can find out about what it expects. If
it's just TCP/IP, then are they using PAP or CHAP or anything like that?

Anyway, I'd say that would be the next thing to find out-- client
software on their end, and what it wants from you. If it's nothing
exotic, then a simple Open Source solution can probably be worked out.
Wow, think of the money you guys could save!

Paul