Re: [SLUG] Modem Pooling

From: Daniel MacLaren (maclaren@helios.acomp.usf.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 19:13:01 EDT

Our product consists of a server that runs under UNIX (Solaris, AIX and
one day Linux) and clients that run under Windows. Sometimes we need to
connect directly to our customer's UNIX machine and a simple connetion via
Hyperterminal will do. Other times we need to use our Windows clients on a
local machine to connect to the customer's UNIX server over PPP. When a
PPP connection is necessary, only the person doing the dialing needs
access to the customer's network and Windows _should_ take care of the
routing.

Winport allowed us to use virtual modems on our workstations for
Hypterminal and PPP (how well it worked I can't say, because I never used
it). The Modem-Sharing-minihowto gave me some hope that I could use a
Linux server for sharing the modems, but without a windows client that
won't happen (it is hard to say "use Linux" if the clients, Dialup/IP will
cost us $1700 - I need to verify that).

I will consider some of the options mentioned, but I would really prefer a
solution that requires minimal changes to the way things have been done
(not that I am averse to change, but I think in this instance it will
only cause confusion and headaches).

Anyway, thanks for the input.

-Daniel