Re: [SLUG] Modem Pooling

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 10:36:37 EDT

On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 22:11, Jim Wildman wrote:
> In both cases, some clever login scripting will do. Hyperterminal
> (telnet) to the Linux/modem server. Auto script the connection from
> there using sudo for root access as necessary. Then the user merely
> picks the right connection to make, and the Linux box does the rest.
>
> You could even make a ppp over ethernet connection to the Linux box,
> which then started up the 'real' connection....

Wow. Jim came up with a solution that I hadn't even considered. PPPoE
(PPP over Ethernet) might very well do what you're looking to do.
Honestly, I've never tried it, but it would definitely fit the bill.

Nothing I've read so far has mentioned dialout modem banks from PPPoE
initiated sessions. You would still need the dialup logic (phone number,
password, etc) on the Linux bux, and you would need to dial-on-demand as
PPPoE sessions are established. There might be timeout issues.

Typically, PPPoE is used to tunnel IP traffic back through a
customer-prem device over a nailed-up non-channelized packet or cell
switched network (typically ATM) to a network termination / data
concentration device.

Neat idea though. I'd like to do this just for the thrill of it.

- Ian