Re: [SLUG] Verisign Scam

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 23:25:30 EDT

On Thu, 2002-04-18 at 21:42, Paul M Foster wrote:
> Most of you have probably heard of this (I think I'm always the last to
> know these things), but for those of you who don't....
>
> Verisign (Network Solutions) is sending snail mails around, telling
> people to renew their domain names. Trouble is, 1) those domain names
> weren't registered with Verisign in the first place, and 2) the
> renewal date is considerably sooner than the actual renewal date of the
> domain. Of course, if you look on the back of this, in very small type,
> it says that by signing it, you authorize Verisign to _transfer_ your
> domain name from whomever now holds it.

They're doing the same thing in emails as well.

> So I'm pretty much ready to transfer all my domains to those honest
> (cough!) guys at Verisign, dontcha think?

I highly reccommend it.

Verisign, since they bought out Network Solutions, is one of the most
unethical companies on the 'net. They use virtually every underhanded
tactic ever conceived to confuse and scare people into giving them
money. Their registration service gives them detailed information on
anyone who has a domain registered through them that the use unabashedly
to SPAM the heck out of them and sell those lists to any buyer. (Try
this if you have the time and money to waste: set up a domain with
Verisign using a throwaway email account and a bogus name at an address
you can receive mail. Count the days before you are bombarded with both
SPAM and junk snail mail. It won't be long.) They have a long history
of squatting on domain names and only gave access to third-party
registrars (the root servers are still controlled solely by
Verisign/NSI) when the entire industry, plus government, looked like
they were about to declare total war.

Verisign's Certificate Authority business is just as bad as their
Registrar service, if not worse.

There are a number of websites on the 'net that you can visit that can
list in horrifying detail all the scams Verisign has pulled on their
clients and the unwitting public.

Truthfully, I'd personally say that Microsoft has a better track record
of customer treatment than Verisign.

Use any opportunity to deprive them of income, please! If you have
domains registered through them, PLEASE transfer them! It's a blatant
plug, but NKS has a domain registration service through Tucows that's
quick and painless that we'd be happy to set you up, and we _HATE_
Verisign, so we do anything we can to keep as much of your money from
getting to them as possible! :)

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
$_='while(read+STDIN,$_,2048){$a=29;$b=73;$c=142;$t=255;@t=map
{$_%16or$t^=$c^=($m=(11,10,116,100,11,122,20,100)[$_/16%8])&110;
$t^=(72,@z=(64,72,$a^=12*($_%16-2?0:$m&17)),$b^=$_%64?12:0,@z)
[$_%8]}(16..271);if((@a=unx"C*",$_)[20]&48){$h=5;$_=unxb24,join
"",@b=map{xB8,unxb8,chr($_^$a[--$h+84])}@ARGV;s/...$/1$&/;$d=
unxV,xb25,$_;$e=256|(ord$b[4])<<9|ord$b[3];$d=$d>>8^($f=$t&($d
>>12^$d>>4^$d^$d/8))<<17,$e=$e>>8^($t&($g=($q=$e>>14&7^$e)^$q*
print+x"C*",@a}';s/x/pack+/g;eval

usage: qrpff 153 2 8 105 225 < /mnt/dvd/VOB_FILENAME \ | extract_mpeg2 | mpeg2dec -

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/DeCSS/Gallery/ http://www.eff.org/ http://www.anti-dmca.org/