Re: [SLUG] Hmmmmm

From: Bill (bill@organic-earth.com)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 10:40:57 EDT

On Monday 22 April 2002 00:52, you wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, Bill wrote:
> > On Sunday 21 April 2002 17:39, you wrote:
> > > My F/W f.ex blocks like above but does not really affect my day to day
> > > activities.
> >
> > F/W f.ex ?
> >
> > What's that?
>
> It's been a few hours and Steve hasn't answered. Can't imagine anyone
> would have anything more important to do that read the SLUG list! He
> might have gone to sleep or something so I'll take a stab at what he
> meant:
> 'My F/W f.ex blocks like...' = 'My firewall for example blocks like...'

Surely there is some way to run a web, ftp and mail server without blocking
ALL incoming traffic that is not a response to an outgoing packet.? I am
actually encouraging people I don't know to come visit my web site ... yes,
total strangers with funny names and even funnier hats who eat funny food and
dance wierd! Even some who speak English as a second language!

> Well, this does not have to be a problem. You want to block all incoming
> that is not a reply to an outgoing request. Not ALL incoming.

I installed Tripwire today. It was so easy I am now kicking myself for having
procrastinated so long. :-) Tripwire, however, is not a FW ... it's damage
control.

Bill