Re: [SLUG] Installing LILO on new HD?

From: Scott Piper (piper@ij.net)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 12:36:37 EDT

You can boot into a linux shell from an install CD and then write the
new boot sector, but since you still have the old HD installed, These
should work (at least I think so). I'm assuming that your 40gb already
has windows on it.

boot into linux as usual, then do one of the following

choice 1. execute the mkboot command which will create a boot floppy.
 switch the hard drives, boot with the floppy (you may want to try
booting with the floppy before you switch the drives just to make sure
it works). Once you are in linux run /sbin/lilo -v to write the boot
sector to the new hda.

choice 2. As root, edit the /etc/lilo.conf file and change the line
boot=/dev/hda to boot=/dev/hdc. Now run /sbin/lilo -v
the -v is for verbose. You should get a message that the boot sector
has been written. After that, change the hdc back to hda in
/etc/lilo.conf since the drive will be hda in the future. Switch the
drives.

scott