Re: [SLUG] Installing LILO on new HD?

From: Ben Ostrowsky (ostrowb@tblc.org)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 08:43:26 EDT

On Mon, 2002-04-22 at 12:36, Scott Piper wrote:
> boot into linux as usual, then do one of the following

[great advice follows]

Scott, thanks so much! As it turns out, I couldn't get the small drive
to boot after all. Fortunately, I know that hdb is partitioned like so:

hdb1: Swap, 1GB
hdb2: /boot, 200MB
hdb3: /, 55GB or so[1]

The rescue disk didn't complain when I tried to mount the swap partition
as ext2, so I'm not sure if it will work properly when I try it again
the non-idiotic way (i.e. with hdb2 and hdb3).

Does this look right?

mkdir /boot
mount -t ext2 /dev/hdb2 /boot
mount -t ext2 /dev/hdb3 /
/sbin/lilo -v -C /etc/lilo.conf
reboot now

(I'm omitting the step of changing lilo.conf since the Linux drive is
and will remain hdb.)

Ben

[1] I originally wrote "....ing enormous", then "[This is a family list,
after all]ing enormous", then "Exoning enormous", and then realized that
it had taken me so long to cleverly edit my profanity that 55GB was no
longer noteworthy.