Re: [SLUG] Editing a PS or PDF document

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 16:00:01 EDT

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Ronan Heffernan wrote:

> Mike Manchester wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know how I can edit a PS or PDF file in Linux or where I can
> > find a FAQ or HOWTO on doing this? I have a PDF form I need to fill out
> > and return by email.

> You basically can't edit the PS files directly,

hunh?
[herrold@oldnews herrold]$ echo "This is text" | mpage > test.ps
[herrold@oldnews herrold]$ cp test.ps test_cow.ps
[herrold@oldnews herrold]$ joe test_cow.ps
[herrold@oldnews herrold]$ diff test.ps test_cow.ps
282c282
< 0 780 moveto (This is a test) show

---
> 0 780 moveto (This is a cow) show
[herrold@oldnews herrold]$

Each displays what you would expect.

One is a test -- the other is a cow

and I don't think that > even the full Acrobat package can edit PDFs (you must have the original > FrameMaker, MSWord, etc. file).

hunh?

[herrold@oldnews herrold]$ pdftotext test.pdf [herrold@oldnews herrold]$ cat test.txt This is text [herrold@oldnews herrold]$

... understand -- all the magic formatting may disappear, but they may be manipulated with standard text editting tools.

-- Russ Herrold