[SLUG] Domains and hosting on the cheap (was: Domain Registration)

From: Ben Ostrowsky (ostrowb@tblc.org)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 16:04:08 EDT

> I paid $8.95 (or was it $9.95?) two days ago for a .com domain name from
> www.gkg.net (good for 1 year, they have longer pricing schemes
> available). It just became active today. I have yet to upload my site,
> but I don't expect any problems. Running a 'whois' checks-out.

I also like gandi.net [1] (12EUR/yr, around $10, no problem using US
credit cards) because their contract spells out clearly that YOU own the
domain name and they are merely acting as your agents. This stands in
stark contrast to certain well-known evil registrars whose contracts say
that the registrar owns the domain name and you get to borrow it for a
while. They also have some free services including primary and
secondary DNS, one email redirection, etc.[2]

They also believe in software libre and have released some of their own
in-house code under the BSD license.

> BTW, I paid $8.95/mo for a 25MB site (very few frills, no SSH, no
> database, no shopping cart, etc) from websomains4u.com.

And for ultra-low prices, pair.com has a $5/mo account[3], 100MB disk
space, 100MB/day transfer. You get an 24% discount[4] for paying for a
full year (and at that rate, you certainly can afford it).

Ben

[1] http://www.gandi.net
[2] http://www.gandi.net/faq/services.html.en#ToC4
[3] http://www.pair.com/pair/shared/ftp.html