Re: [SLUG] Any New Feedback re. SuSE 8.0?

From: Bob File (rfile@innet.com)
Date: Sat Apr 27 2002 - 09:33:06 EDT

On Friday 26 April 2002 10:44 pm, you wrote:
> Have folks found SuSE 8.0 to be stable on most modern
> generic PC's?
>
> I really want to be able showcase a modern implementation
> of Linux at the College but don't want a Bill Gates-type
> flub ... I don't have billions to manipulate people into
> overlooking the obvious flaws of "my" product!

This is similar to what I wanted to do: be able to recommend an install of
suse 8 to some non-linux volks.
I think some of the problems I had with the installation were my own fault. I
hardly ever pick a standard install, and on that note I must say that the
upgrade went quite well on an older box that I had previously done a canned
workstation install on. I think back on version 6.4 (not sure) I made a 2 gig
partition to mount /home on so I could reuse my home data as I upgraded. I
picked reiserfs as the file system because I had read that it was good at
handling the small file size that one usually has for personal data. When I
upgraded to 7.3 the installation complained/warned about this partition and
the readability of it, but I chose to go ahead with the installation and the
partition was successfully incorporated into the system. This time around,
the installation would not even mount the old partitions for an upgrade. I
had to choose new installation to proceed. I tried manipulating the
partitions by hand, and got the reiserfs warning when I tried to preserve
/home . When I got to the actual partitioning, the install failed and ended
up hosing one of the existing partitions. I had to start over and let the
install program make a new set of partitions on the chosen drive.
Oh well... BTW, I lost no data - there are 2 different CD's sitting here with
all my home stuff, plus a copy of /etc and /root.

SO.. to actually answer the question above? Yes it seems quite stable. KDE 3
is very slick and on the new box seems faster than KDE 2 was. I think that X
must be a newer or better set up than last time because my display seems to
look better (crisper?) . Fonts and such seem to be rendered clearer this
version. All my consoles are running at 1024x768 (svgalib?) and console one
has been beautified ;-} . I don't care too much about this, but this does
make the startup a little less scary for non command line volks.

So when I finally got the install to work, and I tried to go through it
similar to what a newbie might and just choose some defaults by click my way
through the options and then feed it CDs when asked. When I got done, I had a
working system. So I figure at a minimum that mail and internet should work
by running Yast and filling in some blanks. The sendmail config had extra
blanks for getting the domain correct. Last time I had to do this by hand. By
this I mean masquerading (or alias?) localhost as a host on my isp's domain.
That was a nice plus. Fetchmail would complain about unknown hosts until I
did this. This must be a new security feature? Now on to the dialup/modem
setup. <whine severity="low">Every time you use this yast module it takes it
about 60 seconds to go through all the ports and look for modems!</whine>.
I fill in all the blanks, which all look familiar from the last version. When
I get done, kinternet won't do it's thing . I tell it to display the log. It
would seem that it still uses wvdial, but the variables I fill in for user
and password are not reaching wvdial, so it tries to log on as "Dummy". While
this may be an accurate description of me sometimes, it is not the login name
I use on my ISP.... This is no big deal for me. As long as I have decent
editor and MC I can configure the rest by hand ;-} . It's just that if I am
to recommend this distro to non Unix volks then these 2 things should work
right out of the box as we are wont to say....
Well, I've ranted long enough. Let me know if you want any more gory details.
I am getting everything to work OK. Samba works with the inside network and
the winders 2k box on the inside network can browse the web. Now it's on to
apache and mysql.