Re: [SLUG] Simple drafting program

From: Ed Centanni (ecentan1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Apr 27 2002 - 20:31:13 EDT

Try dia. http://www.lysator.liu.se/~alla/dia/ It has a very intuitive
simplified gimp-like interface. Dispite being capable of some pretty
complex drawings, it's still easy to use for simple stuff.

I found compiling it from source to be a problem due to mismatches in
the gtk versions that dia is dependent upon. I couldn't get it past the
./configure stage. It requires a recent gtk 2.0.x development package
but it's configure script looks for the older gtk versions' gtk-config
scripts and not the newer pkg-config system. I would have had to create
some wrappers around the pkg-config script to make them look like the
ones the dia configure script was looking for.

Fortunately there's an easier way...

The RedHat(enigma) rpm dia-0.88.1-3.i386.rpm is quite distribution-blind
and installs nicely on my SuSE system. Get the rpm, install it and you
should be good to go.

Ed