RE: [SLUG] Networking Linux Box and Win98 - Help!

From: William Reed Coulter (wreedc@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 10:57:34 EDT

Windows Machine
Specify IP address is checked and has IP: 192.168.1.1 Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Wins is disabled Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS Config is Enabled with Host: auntbee (my name for the Windows computer)
Domain is Blank
DNS Search order is: 4.2.2.1 and 207.217.120.83
Domain Suffix Search Order is earthlink.net

My hope is that this can be done by way of the GUI on the Linux side; I am
hopelessly inept with the Shell at present. Oh, someone mentioned Samba to
me, but I would prefer not to open that can of worms yet if at all possible.

I see two problems.
1. The windows and LINUX PC's have the same IP address. Each PC needs its'
own IP address. Ronan Heffernan is on the right path. (ie 192.168.1.2)

2. What I know and understand is that if you want to connect a windows PC to
a LINUX PC you need to have samba running. It is the communicating program
in LINUX. What version of LINUX are you running? When you installed LINUX,
did you install the samba support? If you didn't install samba, you will
need the cd to install it.

I hope this helps.

William