[SLUG] Networking Linux Box and Win98 - Help!

From: Bob Berry (eBob@flashmail.com)
Date: Sun Apr 28 2002 - 18:27:19 EDT

I am brand new to Linux and really enjoying the learning process.
Unfortunately I have become STUMPED with the networking thing. I hope
someone here can help me.

Presently I have my Linux box running nicely over an Earthlink PPPOE DSL.
I'm trying to hook up my Win98 machine through the Linux connection.
Basically, I want to use my Linux Box as a router. It has 2 NICs. Here is a
run-down of my current settings. Hopefully whatever I am doing wrong will be
obvious to someone. Here are the details for each computer:

Linux Workstation
eth0 is going to the DSL (working fine over rp-pppoe)
eth1 out to a hub then from the hub to the Win98 machine.
Tab 1: TCP/IP Settings for eth1 in Network Config GUI
Address: 192.168.1.1 Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Tab 2: Hostname - left blank and the checkbox "automatically obtain DNS info
from provider" is unchecked.
Tab 3: Routing
Address: 192.168.1.1 Subnet: 255.255.255.0 Gateway: Is left blank

eth1 Hardware Device Tab: "Enable Device Alias support" is unchecked and "Use
hardware address" is unchecked.

The DNS tab has the following: Hostname: localhost Domain: Is Blank
Primary DNS: 4.2.2.1 Secondary: 207.217.120.83 (Presumably these were pulled
from Earthlink. I sure didn't fill them in!)

Windows Machine
Specify IP address is checked and has IP: 192.168.1.1 Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Wins is disabled Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS Config is Enabled with Host: auntbee (my name for the Windows computer)
Domain is Blank
DNS Search order is: 4.2.2.1 and 207.217.120.83
Domain Suffix Search Order is earthlink.net

My hope is that this can be done by way of the GUI on the Linux side; I am
hopelessly inept with the Shell at present. Oh, someone mentioned Samba to
me, but I would prefer not to open that can of worms yet if at all possible.

I would appreciate whatever help you can give me.

Bob