Re: [SLUG] Networking Linux Box and Win98 - Help!

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 11:47:37 EDT

On Sun, 2002-04-28 at 18:27, Bob Berry wrote:
> I am brand new to Linux and really enjoying the learning process.
> Unfortunately I have become STUMPED with the networking thing. I hope
> someone here can help me.

> Basically, I want to use my Linux Box as a router.

Contrary to what everyone keeps saying, you do not have to be running
samba in order to "network" your Win98 box to your Linux box -- assuming
your intention is to use the Linux box as a router as you stated. Samba
is commonly used to share files (between Linux and Windows) using the
Window's server message block (smb) application-level protocol.
I am thinking your desire is to use your Linux box as a gateway for your
Win98 box -- a gateway to the internet specifically. If this is the
case, I would recommend checking out the following link:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/
Unfortunately, you're going to have to get your hands dirty with command
line in order to get this working.
Matt