Re: [SLUG] Control, I need CONTROL

From: Chuck Hast (kp4djt@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 07:49:58 EDT

On Monday 29 April 2002 09:24 L, you wrote:
> Radio Shack has a couple mini-handbooks that have a lot of simple sample
> circuits in them. A couple of transistor relay drivers and switches.
> You'll also need an 8 bit latch to catch and hold the value written to
> the parallel port. You'll have to work out all the loads backwards to
> make sure the relay can handle the solenoid, the transitor can drive the
> relay and that the transistor ciruit doesn't over draw the latch, but
> hey that's the fun of hardware. With that you would have 8 on/off
> devices. If that isn't enough, you could add a flip-flop and a couple
> And gates to make an addressing scheme where the 8th bit is a
> solenoid/address indicator and the lower 7 bits are solenoid or address
> indicators. Then you just clone the circuit with minor And gate changes
> for each address of 7 solenoids. If you do more than 2 or 3? of those,
> you'll need an 8 bit buffer so the latches don't over draw the parallel
> port. I would advise going and getting an add on printer board, they
> are cheap, just incase you blow up your printer interface.

I have done a lot of this sort of thing over the years, this is the most fun
part from my perspective, the part that I can see work, make it flash,
buzz or ring.. Actually 8 bits should give me more than enough addresses
for what I need, and like you say, parallel cards are cheap I can put in
more of them. Building a control board should not be that big of a deal
either.

--
Chuck Hast
KP4DJT