Re: [SLUG] CD not mounting

From: Chuck Hast (kp4djt@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 07:57:33 EDT

Comments below...

On Thursday 02 May 2002 02:22 L, you wrote:

> Chuck,
>
> I had the same problem when I installed RH7.2. On their web site under
> "Support & Docs"/"Red Hat Linux 7.2 Install FAQ", they report that after
> installation of 7.2 some systems report "/dev/cdrom not a valid block
> device" causing mount to fail. Running the command as root "depmod -ae"
This was the magic bullet, I can now see the CD just fine.
Going to pull the new kernel also..
> should solve this issue. Additionally, upgrading to the latest kernel
> errata will solve this issue.
>
> If you look at the boot log, you will see that no driver is installed for
> the cdrom. Actually mine started working after configuring the printers on
> my system.

Thanks to all the rest to also stopped a minute and sent me info, all of it
had important data which gave me a better view of what is going on.
This list is the best source of info I have...

--
Chuck Hast
KP4DJT