Re: [SLUG] NFS hangs on shutdown

From: Joe (mce@dalismustache.com)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 23:44:19 EDT

On Thursday 02 May 2002 03:29 am, you wrote:
> Joe wrote:
> > Hey there.
> >
> > Anyone ever run into NFS hanging when shutting down.
> > Well actually the daemons shutdown, but then when it goes to
> > unmount "mounted shares" (there aren't any so I don't know why it
> > thinks there are) it just hangs and I have to hit the reset switch
> > then go through a fsck on the reboot. Not quite exactly acceptable
> > behavior on the part of a computer....
> > I'd post log clippings, however it's crapping out before writing to the
> > logs.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Joe
>
> Have you tried waiting for half an hour? NFS timeouts seem very long!
> You say that there aren't any NFS mounts; are you using NFS at all? If
> not, you can turn-off NFS (and RPC and portmap) in your rc.d scripts.
>
> --ronan

Well the box in question is exporting a dir branch, but it is not mounting
any remote directories. I let it sit overnight once and it just stayed
there...it's bitching about portmap too when it pukes. I've even removed all
NFS references from the amd.net, auto.net, mtab, and fstab and it still does
it...I think I'm mabye gonna try to comment out the part of the K script
that's running when it takes the dive. Any other suggestions are entirely
welcome, as I have a need to share this dir to another box.

Thanks again,
Joe