Re: [SLUG] Record uptime for Linux

From: Ed Centanni (ecentan1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat May 04 2002 - 21:08:03 EDT

According to this link:

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=1998-12-29-002-10-NW-CY

a machine could have done about 992 days (2.7 years) IF it had not been
shutdown for UPS maintenance. That seems about right and is supported
by this excerpt from the SLUG mailing list:
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 22:52:30 EST
Subject: Re: [SLUG] SuSE 7.3 retail

<snip>

....Until the storm last ?month? I had uptimes of 2 years on two of my
boxes.

Scot Mc Pherson

Starting with the 1.2 kernel I believe there's a jiffy counter that will
over flow and reset back to zero after so many days (440+??). Kernels
prior to 1.2 that were the subject of a legend I once heard. The story
  told of the existence of a pre-1.2 box somewhere that has been in
production continuously since before NT was released. That would put it
about 7 years. Anybody heard that one?

I personally experienced about 5-6 months on a 2.0.x kernel. It would
have been 3 more months if I had plugged the machine into the correct
UPS outlet when I first got a UPS. The uptime would have been longer
but I had to shut this machine down and move it for a carpet installation.

Ed.