Re: [SLUG] gentoo linux mini-review

From: btt@nethouse.com
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 01:49:01 EDT

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 10:05:08PM -0400, Seth Hollen wrote:

> I'm typing this from Evolution on KDE. Installing packages is very
> easy. As an example to install samba I simply type "emerge
> net-fs/samba" it connects to the ibilio server dowloads the source,
> compiles and installs. That's it!

Ya... and ibiblio over roadrunner is blazing fast. Often I get
325k/sec on downloads...

> What I like about it is it makes you learn. for instance I can't use the
> command "SU" in a console window to become root. I have to figure out
> why (sudo needs to be setup is my first guess) while not something that
> will stop me from using it, it does make me learn, that's why I feel
> this is a great distro for an intermediate to advanced user.

It is a security feature, only folks in the wheel group can su to
root.

> I'm going to try it for a few weeks and if I decide to keep it I will
> reinstall. I only setup /boot / /home and swap to test this out. and I
> want to try XFS.

I tried it and have stuck with it for about a month or so. It is
really amazing to find out that I only regularly use about 10
non-base-system packages.