Re: [SLUG] SSH help please

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 00:02:41 EDT

On 8 May 2002, Seth Hollen wrote:

> I'm trying to set up a rsync script to back up a remote server, but I
> can't get ssh to work without using passwords, I have copied the public
> keys of the computers involved to the authorized_keys files of the other
> but still no luck I always get asked for my password.
>
> or in a script how can i pass the password when asked for?

safer not to embed the passwords there where they might
appear in the process table, or in a core dump. I filed a bug
on fetchmail 3 or 4 years about that one.

It is probably a missing key match, or permissions on either
the remote or near keys -- run s (suppoosedly keyed) ssh
login with options -v -v -v (that is , three -v's) and it
gets quite verbose.

if the remote path does not include the rsync binary, that can
be a problem as well.

Once that works, the rsync transaction looks like:

   rsync -a -e ssh remote.host.com:/var/backup/source/. \
                /local/copy/dest/.

-- Russ