RE: [SLUG] SSH help please

From: Seth Hollen (seth@hollen.org)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 17:34:00 EDT

On Thu, 2002-05-09 at 15:04, Matt Miller wrote:
> > AND...in /etc/ssh/sshd_config you have to PasswordAuthentication set to
> > NO
>
> I don't mean to argue, but PasswordAuthentication can be set to yes.
> Sshd should try pub/priv key authentication before password. But, you do
> have to make sure that PubkeyAuthentication is set to yes (a default).
>
> >From the sshd manpage:
> PasswordAuthentication
> Specifies whether password authentication is allowed. The default is
> ``yes''. (Notice the manpage states "allowed", not preferred)
> PubkeyAuthentication
> Specifies whether public key authentication is allowed. The default is
> ``yes''. Note that this option applies to protocol version 2 only.
I thought the same thing, and that's how it works on my gentoo box.
I got the tip from the redhat forums here
http://www.redhat.com/WebX?13@212.hbGLbmuSlEs^0@.ee76138

I wonder if redhat is using their own little patched version.
tonight I'll try changing it and seeing if it works, but If I remember
this AM it didn't

--
Take care,

Seth seth@hollen.org 727-919-1598