RE: [SLUG] SSH help please

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 15:04:27 EDT

On Thu, 2002-05-09 at 13:10, Seth Hollen wrote:
> Thanks Matt, that was one of the most detailed and best laid tutorials
> on ssh I've seen, I was thinking of doing a FAQ on ssh for the slug
> page, do you mind if I use part of that?

Sure. I wrote a variant of that procedure for the dba's/programmers at
my company.

> OK I think I have it figured out, I had the keys and permissions right,
> but in Redhat it wants to use authorized_keys2, related to what you said
> Matt.

The authorized_keys2 file seems to be a common problem -- a good portion
of users initially make the authorized_keys mistake, myself included.

> AND...in /etc/ssh/sshd_config you have to PasswordAuthentication set to
> NO

I don't mean to argue, but PasswordAuthentication can be set to yes.
Sshd should try pub/priv key authentication before password. But, you do
have to make sure that PubkeyAuthentication is set to yes (a default).

>From the sshd manpage:
PasswordAuthentication
Specifies whether password authentication is allowed. The default is
``yes''. (Notice the manpage states "allowed", not preferred)
PubkeyAuthentication
Specifies whether public key authentication is allowed. The default is
``yes''. Note that this option applies to protocol version 2 only.

> But I was able to run rsync from my laptop to the server, so now the
> only thing to do is configure the backup computer, which I plan on doing
> tonight.
> I will let you all know what happens.

Have fun!

--